Indy Mini Marathon Update - Race Day 2014

Monday, May 5, 2014

 I did it!
Race day was Saturday and I'm so happy I went through with it!  I'll be honest, last week was a total mind game.  I kept trying to find reasons why I shouldn't run the race - I was tired.  Lola didn't sleep well.  No one was going to run it with me.  I didn't know where to park.  Seriously ridiculous things but my mind was trying to convince me not to do it while my heart was saying, "You're an idiot if you don't."  
But I did it!
Friday was the worst of the mind games.  The girl I originally planned on running it with was in a different corral and didn't think I'd be able to run up in their corral.  So I panicked because it was less than 12 hours before the race and I had just lost my running buddy.  Luckily a teacher I work with was still running it and I got a hold of her.  We ran two races together last year so I was excited to be able to run the Mini with her this year!

Here's a race recap...
I met my friend around 7 on Saturday morning about 10 minutes from downtown.  Our actual Wave didn't start until 8:30 which was pretty nice to have a later start time.  However, the group we were with got a bit of a late start and we didn't end up even getting to the race until basically 8:30.  We lucked out and got a decent  parking spot and made it to our Wave a few minutes before they counted down to our start time.  I started at a slower pace to help my friend keep up for as long as could.  She did more cross training than actual running but still kept up strong for 6 miles!  Once we hit the Indianapolis Speedway, her knee started causing her problems so she dropped back.  I ran the last 7 miles on my own and that was okay.  Really it wasn't like I was alone, just hanging out with 30,000 of my closest friends.  The atmosphere of this race is awesome.  Every time you even start to think that you're tired or can't do it, you turn a corner and there's a band playing fun music or a group of people cheering you on or a water table full of people encouraging to keep it up.  My favorite part was towards the end (duh) because the final stretch was lined with black and white checkered flags.  Both sides are filled with people yelling and shouting and it was an awesome feeling.  I ended up running it in 2:25, which was about 10 minutes more than I wanted but I'm happy that I ran the entire race and got to experience it.  I was literally drained Saturday afternoon.  My head felt like it was going to explode and I needed to just take a nap.  I had planned on heading up north to catch the last part of my friend's Bachelorette party but after my nap my head felt like it was 29438209 lbs so I knew it wasn't going to happen.  I ended up going to bed at 9:30 Saturday and waking up at 8:30 on Sunday.
Surprisingly my thighs are the only sore part of my body.  Oh, and I need a serious pedicure.  Like yesterday.

The only picture I got.  I was in a serious daze post race so we didn't even get a picture until we got home.

I probably won't run the Mini again for a few years because it's just too hard to train with little kids and a full time job.  I plan on doing a couple shorter runs this summer just for fun because those don't really need too much training.

I'm ready to run for fun now and to use it as a stress reliever.  I'm also ready for summer break.
18 more days...


  1. Great job, kait!! It's a really fun race... so glad you did it! :):)

  2. So proud of you! You're amazing!

  3. Very impressive, 2:25 is a great time. Way to go!

  4. Awesome! Congratulations!! Love the picture :)